THE LIBERTARIAN ENTERPRISE
Number 422, June 17, 2007
"Aim at zero!"
Credit The Libertarian Enterprise
The definition of insanity is when you keep doing the same thing over and over, and expect a different outcome. Prohibition, political correctness, gun laws, censorship and taxes. I'm sure that you the reader can add your own examples to the list. Like many of you, I took an oath to uphold and defend the constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic. I emphasize the domestic part because at this time the greatest long term hazard to our freedom is the insanity coming from Washington and the Old Media.
HERESY! What about Radical Islam, Immigration, Globular Warming, Meth, Pornography, internet SPAM and Hip Hop?! [insert Bronx Cheer Here]
"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government. . ."
In the above sentence, the only change I would make is to insert the word "Unanimous" before consent (Thanks Neil!). That alone would be a good enough improvement to the entire document, then fundamental change could begin.
Consider yourself smacked upside the head now so pay attention! All of this crap is a smokescreen to cover the slowly eroding freedoms we Americans have taken for granted while we work longer hours, for more years per-capita than any other industrialized nation on earth. (Go look it up but remember they are gummint numbers) In order to maintain only a slightly higher standard of living than the countries we are measured against. OK fine, we should be proud hardworking people, and year after year, generation after generation, we should show some improvement across the board to all the people of our society. Look at the way things are now and compare them to your grandparents day and reach your own conclusions. I'm trying to stick to generalities to keep this short for you, and to prevent pissing myself off, again.
Now I get down to the real question, will a government based on libertarian principles be any better than what we have now? I say no. Yup! I said no! The reason is that it would only work in it's purest form with a fundamental change in human behavior. That and I question the agenda of anyone who seeks a public office that pays around a half million dollars a year all things considered. and costs $50 to $100 million to attain. It inevitably means the constituency takes a backseat to patronage every effin' time. With a minimum of 4 years to repay your patrons, somebody is being ignored. . . . Sorry Ron.
Remember Common Sense?
1. Taking personal responsibility for yourself and your community and living in a community where EVERYONE takes the same responsibility. Part of that is making sure that everyone is working toward the same goal of justice, prosperity, health and safety for EVERYONE. When was the last time 2 or 3 hundred million people had the opportunity to agree unanimously about anything? Without the Old Media trying to twist and spin them? Or segments of the NEW media for that matter. Without the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
2. Rather than wanton consumerism based on obsolescence and waste. I'd love to buy One car, toaster, TV or whatever that would last me a lifetime, can be repaired or upgraded in perpetuity with simple hand tools, runs on a renewable clean energy and when is no longer serviceable can be 100% recycled. I'd like to have a home on property that is mine to do with as long as it doesn't trouble the community and not have to pay perpetual taxes on it or risk being imprisoned, disenfranchised or even killed.
3. Earn a living that takes care of our family needs first and not have to give up upwards of 30-40% for government programs that I will never qualify for when I need them.
4. No insurance, a responsible society doesn't need it.
5. No lawyers or judges, a responsible society doesn't need them. Ignorance of your responsibilities is as much a crime in the long run as having a system that denies you your right to be responsible for your actions. (ie child support, and welfare)
6. Education should begin in the home from birth. Right and wrong, personal and societal responsibility, toilet training, sight picture and trigger pull should be taught early and often.
7. Parents are as responsible for what their children do as the children themselves. (I managed to raise and educate 3 kids and never had to come up with bail or fines once let alone have to spank them.)
Folks, I can go on like this for hours but I'm going to let you add to this conversation. It will take a minimum of 3 generations of patient commitment on the part of all of us to make the change happen. Fighting by the enemies rules is my second corrolary on the definition of insanity. If you want real change, start with yourself and your family, have faith by whatever spirit guides you (or not). And never ever give up. We can make our world better. Until We come together in our communities and tell the power junkies to get stuffed, nothing will change.